" Life as a Middle School Teacher: A new beginning

Google

Monday, July 23, 2007

A new beginning

We teachers always tend to look at the beginning of each school year as a starting over point. We will have a new group of students and frequently we will have a new outlook on discipline, classroom management, bulletin boards, and lesson plans. There's a possibility that many teachers stick with the profession because it's like a new job every new school year.

This year, for me, is really going to be new. I've finally made the decision to leave the middle school I have been working at for the past five years. I got to the point I was no longer ok with the principal, largely because she, once again, placed me in a position I had no interest in. What frusterated me more this year than previous years was the simple fact that the position I had been wanting had finally opened and she denied me that job. Aside from the teaching position problems, there were so many other administration issues that I was never happy with. The school I worked at is considered to be one of the worst in our district. Our students came from the poorest neighborhoods, had some severe gang-related problems, and 98% of them spoke Spanish as their first language. We had behavior problems that would make some teachers crumble with fear within the first 10 minutes, yet sadly the principal allowed our biggest gang-affiliated students to remain on campus. She cow-towed to every parent that complained, despite the parents being completely out-of-whack. There was no admin support for teachers that were having trouble with a student and/or a parent. PLUS she took any criticism of her job personally, and frequently retaliated (hence the reason I have been teaching an unwanted subject).

And she was known for her relationships within the school staff that were highly inappropriate. Unprofessional? Absolutely. Disgusting? Even more so. Essentially the principal at that school is a two-faced, lying, slutty, conniving bitch. And i'm glad to be out.


With that sad, the new school is the exact opposite, demographically, of the school I had been at. This new middle school is also the largest in the school district, has the highest test scores, and has one of the highest teacher-retention rates in our district. I'll be teaching a subject I've wanted to teach (social studies) since I started my career, and I am familiar with many of the staff members. I'm very excited to be taking this position.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home