" Life as a Middle School Teacher: I'm on the hunt

Google

Monday, May 14, 2007

I'm on the hunt

I've been at my school for five years now. Some of you have been listening to be complain about this school for about three years, and few of you know the entire story.


I got hired at this school about six years ago as a 6th grade language arts teacher. I did that for two years at this school, and we had a HUGE drop in enrollment, so we had to cut six teachers. I had the choice of taking a short term assignment somewhere else (and lose my retirement, insurance, etc) or taking the science position where I'm at now. I had become pretty comfortable at my school so I made the decision to stay. My principal swore up and down she would do everything in her power to get me my job back as soon as possible.


Well that was three years ago. I hate teaching science, but I have stuck with it because I have made a committment to my school. And I feel like it is MY school. I have had three to four siblings from the same families. I've had cousins, uncles, aunts. I love knowing that 25% of my students are relatives of kids I have had before. I know the community, they know me, and I'm comfortable. PLUS we bought our house on this side of town because it's close to where we both work. But I've been waiting patiently for the past three years for my Language Arts position to come back to me.


So this year there are two language arts openings for the upcoming school year. One of them is a "short term" position because the woman is taking a year of maternity leave. She's a 7th grade language arts teacher. The second is a 6th grade Language Arts teacher who is retiring (so it's a long term position.)

I got my official "change of position" paperwork about two weeks ago, and my principal is offering me the short term position. I'm pretty fucking pissed. I have refused, which means she has to find me a long term position within the school, but she said flat out she isn't going to offer me the sixth grade position. I've then got the option to find a new school or take a science position in my school.

Now I feel like I have given everything BUT my firstborn to this school and this is what I'm getting in return. Many of you have been listening to the stories I have told, and you know the hell in which I teach. My principal is currently going through a paternity lawsuit because her husband believes her son is the product of an affair between her and the husband of one of the teachers. It is a well known fact that my principal has been having a lesbian "affair" of sorts with two of the other teachers at my school. This is probably the most unprofessional situation I have ever worked in, and this includes Chuck E. Cheese's where the managers were all 17 years old.

So I'm looking for a new school and it's breaking my heart. I've had so many kids that have asked me if they can be my student aides next year. I have so many kids from my very first group at this school that are graduating from high school next year and were planning on sending me announcements. That can only happen if I stay at the same school. I'm so devastated. I cried all day today knowing that was the decision that I had to make.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home